[RBW] Fenders in Summer
Doug Williams
2015-07-28 23:51:38 UTC
I was out on my early morning ride today from 5:15-7:00. I take the extra
long route to work by looping around Lake Natoma. My work commute would
otherwise be only 5 miles. But anyway...

I take many side dirt paths to lose the MCRB racers zipping around the
American River Bike Trail on their skinny tires. I'm pretty much all alone
on the dirt. Occasionally I see a runner but bikes are very rare. Horses
use these trails often but nobody has their horse out on the trails that
early in the morning. Still...the horses leave evidence of their passing.
Which brings me back to my Subject Line.

Yes, it is nice to have fenders in summer.

Doug
David Person
2015-07-29 00:24:11 UTC
Agreed. It took me a long time to "get over it", my attitude towards
fenders year round, even here in drought stricken California. But now I
actually like the look. Fattish tires and fenders just go together. I
just yesterday attached a reflector to the rear fender. Egads, where have
my wanna-be racer values gone?

David
'hangtownmatt' via RBW Owners Bunch
2015-07-29 03:51:21 UTC
David, keep in mind that fenders keep more than water off your body and
drive train. They also help keep dirt off your drive chain and out of your
headset. The only time I really dislike my fenders is in a strong
headwind. With my head down, struggling against the wind, they don't seen
very aerodynamic :<(
Lungimsam
2015-07-29 04:32:27 UTC
Fenders are not 100% effective but very close! I like my fenders a lot.

Stuff still blows out the sides of fenders (both on my Longboards and Honjos) and can still get on your feet and stays and fork blades. Not much, but you can see traces after riding through dirt/mud areas.

But my frames look nice and clean, and my fendered bikes are waaaay cleaner than my non-fendered bike was.

I also enjoy knowing that I am getting hit by mostly falling rain only, and not the possible urine, chemicals, vomit, and offal that may be swirling in the water on the road.

So I keep the fenders on year round here in the wet summers and road-salty winters of Maryland.

Also, I think silver racks on a bike without fenders looks kind of strange. Silver fenders really go well with silver racks and make the bike look prettier, in my opinion. They compliment each other well.
Steve Palincsar
2015-07-29 02:09:54 UTC
Post by Doug Williams
I was out on my early morning ride today from 5:15-7:00. I take the
extra long route to work by looping around Lake Natoma. My work
commute would otherwise be only 5 miles. But anyway...
I take many side dirt paths to lose the MCRB racers zipping around the
American River Bike Trail on their skinny tires. I'm pretty much all
alone on the dirt. Occasionally I see a runner but bikes are very
rare. Horses use these trails often but nobody has their horse out on
the trails that early in the morning. Still...the horses leave
evidence of their passing. Which brings me back to my Subject Line.
Yes, it is nice to have fenders in summer.
Especially so in the rain, but also any time the "evidence" is fresh.
I often ride in an area where Amish and Mennonites travel in
horse-drawn buggies.
'hangtownmatt' via RBW Owners Bunch
2015-07-29 03:46:42 UTC
Doug, I commute Folsom to Rancho Cordova on my Sam Hillborne. I've been
commuting on the American River Bicycle trail since the early 90's. For
many of those years from the Fish Hatchery down past Cal Expo. On my
current morning commute (5:00 AM) I take the shortest most direct route and
that only includes Folsom Blvd to the Fish Hatchery in regards to Lake
Natoma. But in the afternoon I transverse one side or the other, and like
you, wander a bit. Rivendell's are pretty rare. Over the years I've only
seen one since I've been looking ... maybe two. The maybe was wearing a
Rivendell cap but was going the opposite direction and everything simply
happened too fast. So I dunnno. Maybe I'll see you out there some day.

Matt
Jan Heine
2015-07-29 04:59:52 UTC
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/taking-off-fenders/

How many cyclists run fenders year-round on their cars? It still amazes me
that nobody thinks a Porsche or a Ferrari is less sporty for having fenders
and lights, but on a bike, it's still uncool in certain circles. ;-)

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com

Follow our blog at http://janheine.wordpress.com/
Lungimsam
2015-07-29 06:14:23 UTC
Maybe there is a perception that the car engine's capabilities can be easily boosted to compensate for the car fender and lights weight more easily than a bike engine can be improved, making weight more of a critical penalty to the bike engine than to a car engine?
Patrick Moore
2015-07-29 09:53:48 UTC
No fenders on this baby.

[image: Inline image 1]
Post by Jan Heine
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/taking-off-fenders/
How many cyclists run fenders year-round on their cars? It still amazes me
that nobody thinks a Porsche or a Ferrari is less sporty for having fenders
and lights, but on a bike, it's still uncool in certain circles. ;-)
Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com
Follow our blog at http://janheine.wordpress.com/
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. *Aristotle

*The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. *Dante
Doug Williams
2015-07-29 11:45:59 UTC
Yes but...does anyone commute in a car like that? How many people drive a
car like that on the road? How many people "train" in a car like that
outside of a race? Everyone recognizes that a car like that is fragile and
maintenance intensive; completely impractical for normal use. Given that,
why is it so many people think that they should ride the equivalent bike on
the street and/or bike trail when they are not even in a race?

Grant is right on this: bike racing has ruined cycling for "normal" people.

Doug
Post by Patrick Moore
No fenders on this baby.
[image: Inline image 1]
Bruce
2015-07-29 11:58:20 UTC
My wife and I spent a rainy May day biking around Mackinaw Island in Michigan, famous for having no cars and lots of horses. Our bikes were fenderless. Needless to say, we were covered, butt to brainpan, with . . . Everyone on the island rides bikes, good, stout, basketed work bikes, all with fenders. I know why.
Daniel D.
2015-07-29 19:46:24 UTC
I'm sure plenty of people would if they had a spare 16 million dollars
lying around.
Post by Doug Williams
Yes but...does anyone commute in a car like that? How many people drive a
car like that on the road? How many people "train" in a car like that
outside of a race? Everyone recognizes that a car like that is fragile and
maintenance intensive; completely impractical for normal use. Given that,
why is it so many people think that they should ride the equivalent bike on
the street and/or bike trail when they are not even in a race?
Grant is right on this: bike racing has ruined cycling for "normal" people.
Doug
Post by Patrick Moore
No fenders on this baby.
[image: Inline image 1]
Eric Norris
2015-07-29 21:53:28 UTC
Because
 it’s
 FUN!

Let’s all go back into the past for a second or two

Didn’t anybody else here ever make believe they were the world’s fastest cyclist when you were a kid? I know *I* did. My friends and I used to put number plates on our Sting-Rays and make motorcycle noises while pedaling as hard as we could. It felt great.

Have some of the people on this list forgotten those long ago, happy days?

Now that we’re adults and have the money, we can indulge the child inside us and ride a bike that looks just like the one that the guy who won the Tor de France used. Sure, it’s not going to be able to carry a load of groceries home. Sure, it’s not “practical” in some senses of that word. Sure, it encourages you to ride in a “racing posture.” That’s the point! You’re a racer! You’re fast! You’re riding a cutting edge, carbon fiber bike! Wheeeeee!

And where’s the harm in that? We all know that some bike shops oversell the latest carbon racing machines. But that’s where you have to give some credit to the guy or gal who’s buying the bike. There are lots of choices in bikes out there, and I don’t see anybody twisting arms to get riders on the latest Trek or Pinarello. For the same reasons, I don’t look at someone driving a two-seater sports car and wonder who snookered them into buying it. Is a Mazda Miata “practical”? Depends on how you define that, but probably not. But so what? It’s fun! (I should know, my wife has one.)

There are all kinds of fun, including the kind that involves dressing up in lycra, swinging your leg over a carbon wonderbike, hitting the bike path, and believing in your own mind, for just a little while, that you’re leading the pack up the Alp d'Huez.

I repeat: Where’s the harm in that?

Remember, the book is “Just Ride,” not “Just Ride the Way I Do.”

--Eric N
***@me.com
www.CampyOnly.com
Campyonlyguy.blogspot.com
@Campyonlyguy
Steve Palincsar
2015-07-29 22:14:19 UTC
Post by Eric Norris
There are all kinds of fun, including the kind that involves dressing
up in lycra, swinging your leg over a carbon wonderbike, hitting the
bike path, and believing in your own mind, for just a little while,
that you’re leading the pack up the Alp d'Huez.
I repeat: Where’s the harm in that?
Even a single rider riding like that on the local MUP is a great way to
cause accidents, plenty of harm there.

Then, there was the local racing club that used to come out en mass, 30+
strong, on a Friday morning and ride from Arlington north to downtown DC
on the Mount Vernon Trail in a double paceline that liteerally took up
both lanes of the bike trail. Commuters headed south were forced off
the trail onto the grass, and I saw a crash at the construction zone at
one of the bridges at National Airport as a south-bound rider was forced
off the trail. Plenty of harm there.

I wrote to the president of that club and told them if they didn't stop
I'd contact the Park Service and get them banned from using the trail,
and that ride ended.
Daniel D.
Eric Norris
2015-07-29 23:02:56 UTC
Well said. Since when does having fun translate into “riding like that”?

--Eric N
***@me.com
www.CampyOnly.com
Campyonlyguy.blogspot.com
@Campyonlyguy
Steve Palincsar
2015-07-29 23:05:47 UTC
When you ride like you are "...*believing in your own mind, for just a
little while, that you’re leading the pack up the Alp d'Huez*"? There
are many ways of having fun. Pretending you are in a road race is just
one of them.
Daniel D.
Steve Palincsar
2015-07-30 02:10:20 UTC
He said doing it, *where's the harm*; I said doing it on a MUP (as so
many do) could indeed create harm. Obviously, you don't have to do it
on a MUP; but we often see pathaletes doing it.
www.CampyOnly.com <http://www.CampyOnly.com>
Campyonlyguy.blogspot.com <http://Campyonlyguy.blogspot.com>
@Campyonlyguy
Evan E.
2015-07-30 04:35:00 UTC
Congratulations, Eric. You made a good point and you expressed it well--and
Steve found a way to criticize it. :)
Steve Palincsar
2015-07-30 10:53:45 UTC
Let me paraphrase what he said: "Throw your leg over a racing bike and
pretend you're racing, leading the pack up a mountain. What could
possibly go wrong?" I merely pointed out one very common thing that in
fact does go wrong when people do that. Why is that so hard to understand?
Daniel D.
2015-07-30 13:38:25 UTC
What's so hard about understanding the "when appropriate" is implicit..
There's little activity you can't envision an inconsiderate way to engage
in it. You can be wearing tweed while riding a penny fairing, scoffing at
the racer wannabes around yet be the most dangerous rude person on the MUP.
Daniel D.
2015-07-29 19:49:04 UTC
I'm sure plenty of people would if they had a spare 7 million dollars
burning a hole in their pocket.
Post by Doug Williams
Yes but...does anyone commute in a car like that? How many people drive a
car like that on the road? How many people "train" in a car like that
outside of a race? Everyone recognizes that a car like that is fragile and
maintenance intensive; completely impractical for normal use. Given that,
why is it so many people think that they should ride the equivalent bike on
the street and/or bike trail when they are not even in a race?
Grant is right on this: bike racing has ruined cycling for "normal" people.
Doug
Post by Patrick Moore
No fenders on this baby.
[image: Inline image 1]
Jan Heine
2015-07-29 13:52:08 UTC
Formula 1 cars don't have fenders because the rules don't allow them.
Sports cars (like the ones that race at Le Mans) have fenders and are way
faster, because they are more aerodynamic...

Shielding the wheels from the airstream actually makes you faster, which is
why racing motorbikes have fenders. (Neither kickstands nor lights, though!)

Seriously, Bicycle Quarterly tested fenders in the wind tunnel and found
that the forward extension makes the bike more aerodynamic, the rearward
one less, and the overall effect is zero.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com

Follow our blog at http://janheine.wordpress.com/
Post by Patrick Moore
No fenders on this baby.
[image: Inline image 1]
Jan Heine
2015-07-29 15:10:55 UTC

It does not appear the photo of the fastest two-wheeler (that can actually
go around corners) uploaded, so here it is again. Fenders are part of the
aero package.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3ulEle6-vVY/VbjsmDMkKbI/AAAAAAAAA9c/lBpA-A6nCag/s1600/MotoGP2015-Desmosedici_Standard-01_634x357_634x357.jpg>
John Phillips
2015-07-30 16:01:58 UTC
One needs fenders just to "ride" through this thread!

John
Anton Tutter
2015-07-30 16:41:07 UTC
Well put!