[RBW] Need advice for avoiding embarrassing Brooks saddle stain...
Zach Duval
2015-07-26 19:36:40 UTC
I cycle. I cycle with a comfy, well-broken-in Brooks on my Sam, and due to the comfortable nature of this setup, I cycle in my day-to-day shorts. I sweat while cycling longish or hardish rides, and enjoy such rides. However, I discover afterwards that I'be been left with a saddle-shaped brown mark on my rear.

I here turn over my embarrassing predicament for the wisdom of Rivfolk. Any advice?

Zach "generally seeking overall good hygeine/cleanliness" Duval
Deacon Patrick
2015-07-26 19:49:46 UTC
Embrace the theme and squirt the front of your shorts with your water
bottle whenever you stop somewhere? Sardonic grin.

Sorry, but I've got no helpful suggestions.

With abandon,
Patrick
Lungimsam
2015-07-26 19:52:47 UTC
Wear Navy blue or black pants only while riding. Not joking.
John Phillips

'Hudson Doerge' via RBW Owners Bunch
2015-07-26 20:11:39 UTC
If I'm gonna ride in light colored shorts I sometimes throw on my saddlecover and that does the trick. The saddlecover starts to wear faster, but it keeps my shorts cleaner.
Zach Duval
2015-07-26 21:17:27 UTC
Also, ride report and photos: last ride in the Yellowstone Valley, 35
miles, before a relocation brings me into northwestern MT. Cut the basket
off for this ride and very much enjoy the unhindered steering (and will be
doing so for exploratory excursions around the new locale for the next few
weeks).

franklyn
2015-07-26 22:15:09 UTC
Hopefully this doesn't hijack the thread too much. I also ride with regular
shorts, but now that I think about it, they are all dark colored. One
exception was the butternut squash colored MUSA knickers, but they were
never stained by leather saddles.

My question for Zach is on riding around yellowstone national park. My wife
and I are thinking about visiting next summer, and are considering bringing
our bikes. Are there pockets of nice riding or are the roads simply too
busy with tourists in cars?

thanks,
Franklyn
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-utcF-AL7IBU/VbVOSeFJKgI/AAAAAAAAACg/rRCIWmCwSas/s1600/Facebook-20150726-031239.jpg>
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3QSnP3t8GYM/VbVOYMscvEI/AAAAAAAAACo/0C5vbIOLpqk/s1600/Facebook-20150726-031250.jpg>
Steve Palincsar
2015-07-26 21:55:01 UTC
Put a seat cover on the saddle.
Patrick Moore
2015-07-26 23:01:44 UTC
I cycling in khaki shorts in warm weather and always have blackish stains
from my Flites. They wash out, but I rather consider them badges of honor.

Post by Zach Duval
I cycle. I cycle with a comfy, well-broken-in Brooks on my Sam, and due to
the comfortable nature of this setup, I cycle in my day-to-day shorts. I
sweat while cycling longish or hardish rides, and enjoy such rides.
However, I discover afterwards that I'be been left with a saddle-shaped
brown mark on my rear.
I here turn over my embarrassing predicament for the wisdom of Rivfolk. Any advice?
Zach "generally seeking overall good hygeine/cleanliness" Duval
Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique, Vereinigte Staaten

*************************************
*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. *Aristotle

*The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. *Dante
'hangtownmatt' via RBW Owners Bunch
2015-07-27 03:16:01 UTC
Zach, have you ever wondered why most Lycra bicycle shorts are black? This
is carry over from the days when most serious riders used oiled leather
saddles. Today, however, black is not a requirement because most serious
riders use plastic saddles.

Ducking for cover :>)

Matt
dougP
2015-07-27 03:27:57 UTC
Darker shorts. Gray, dark blue, olive, etc. No tan or lightish colors.
This is the voice of experience. A friend's somewhat sarcastic spouse
suggested I was perhaps a bit too relaxed on the bike because my light
shorts had a similar stain.

dougP
Joe Broach
2015-07-27 05:16:48 UTC
To counter those saying just wear dark shorts, I've never had any color
transfer from honey Brooks in tens of thousands of miles, including plenty
of sweaty tours and rainy commutes. If you have something other than honey,
give that a try before you resort to covers or black shorts. I have had
color transfer from a black Fujita/Belt saddle, even after years of use.
Covers kill half the benefits of a leather saddle to me--breathability and
lack of friction.

Best,
joe broach
pdx or
Zach Duval
2015-07-27 13:53:56 UTC
The saddle has seen regular use on my commuter for more than a year, and
only recently has dye transfer become an issue. I've read elsewhere that it
may be that I'm over Proofiding the saddle, but recently I had the issue
both before and after applying oil (I've treated the saddle three times
since new). I'll leave off from adding any more Proofide for the
foreseeable future, and in the meantime wear a cover during longer rides
(which, I agree, is an imperfect fix, as doing so defeats some of my
purpose in using a leather saddle).

As to cycling Yellowstone, I'm unfortunately not much help. I'm a bit east
of the park and reluctantly admit that I've never cycled it (I've really
only progressively gotten more into cycling in the last three years or so).
Hopefully, I'll be able to do Glacier in the near future, though, as that
will be closer to my backyard after this week.

I do know that there is generally a week in the very beginning of the
season where most of the park is open just to cyclists. Otherwise, you are
looking to face some rather heavy traffic, and people's behavior in this
park especially seems to be without concern for safety (Google "bison
selfie" for quick confirmation). Many people do cycle the park during the
season's heyday, and they live to tell the tale.
Mark Reimer
2015-07-27 14:37:28 UTC
I've had a different but equally odd and embarrassing brooks stain - I wear
black denim cut-off shorts mostly. They're super comfortable after being
beaten into submission over many years and rides. After doing a 4-day tour
on my B17 Special (in the darker brown colour), I found RED streaks stained
on my backside. Turns out it was from the copper rivets. They've never
washed out. Very weird, never had this before despite always riding Brooks
models with the copper rivets. Looks like it's time to replace the ol'
shorts.
2015-07-29 13:44:45 UTC
I've also had a few "stains" as mark describes. Almost like bleach spots from the copper rivets in a semicircle. Thought it was a kind of funny sign of how much I ride in certain shorts.

Another interesting note from my experience, I have had a couple black brooks saddles that left marks after most rides in light pants. A few years ago I got a b17 select, which I have to say is a fantastic quality saddle. The undyed leather was supposed to prevent saddle stains and it did for a while, but over years of use its almost as dark as the brown brookses and will now leave stains on my light colored pants. Just from all the sweat and grime that's been rubbed into the saddle over the years. I've found riding with a saddle cover to be just fine in most circumstances. The only real difference I've noticed is its a little more difficult to slide around on the saddle, which is one of my favorite things about a brooks.
John Phillips
2015-07-27 16:11:08 UTC
Zach,

Riv has some very nice Rando Jo saddle covers for Brooks saddles in
gray: http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/s92.htm

and they're available in other colors on the Randi Jo web site. Very well
made, snug fitting seat covers.

And Randi Jo will also make custom saddle covers if you give her the
dimensions of your saddle.

She made one for my Berthoud Mente saddle that fits perfectly.

John
BSWP
2015-07-27 17:23:01 UTC
Paraphrasing sage advice from another field of endeavour... embarrassing
sweat stains happen, and that's *where* they happen. Suggest cycling in
darker shorts to minimize conspicuity of said sweat stains.

- Andrew, Berkeley
Peter Adler
2015-07-27 20:35:21 UTC
Black shorts hide all sorts of stains. I was unloading an old Frenchie bike
out of my car yesterday at the beginning of a memorial ride for Alameda
bike dealer Dennis Stone (didn't get up early enough to ride the 15 miles
to Alameda NAS), and sort of lost it when I discovered that I'd thrown the
chain and didn't have a rag. I replaced the chain on the ring, and then
wiped my beschmutzed hand on my wool shorts, so I could get my gloves on
and not mess up the pretty new bar tape.

I should probably wash those shorts today.

Peter, also in Berkeley
Montclair BobbyB
Justin August
2015-07-28 14:57:26 UTC