[RBW] Ballad of the short arms
Fred Craven
2015-07-25 19:03:33 UTC
My first post, yay!

I am currently considering the purchase of a used bike from another forum member. His bike has a unique feature in that the top tube is short. 56cm dt and tt. My body has a unique, and sometimes annoying, feature and that I have tyrannosaurus Rex arms. – – about 2 inches shorter then all of my shirts and all steering wheel columns.

Historically I rode a 56 cm frame. 54 was too small 58 too big. However, Rivendell sizes frames more generously. This means that a 56 cm frame may actually be "too small" but then there's the thing with the short top tube in my short arms.

The seller and I have about the same PBH mine's 83+ he's 83-, our arms are the same length: around 32"(sleeve length). But I'm 4" taller--mostly in the torso. (5'6" vs 5'10).

So, what do you think? Is this a "sure you will be fine" or "no, it won't work" situation?

When I was younger and more "limberer" I was always way too stretched out, but I could do it (My custom frame builder thought it was a good thing at the time). That's never going to happen again.

Of course a shorter stem is in the works as well. I have read all the literature on the website and I've seen all the measures. If I was ordering a new bike I might-could go with the 58 cm frame instead. But I'm looking for input in the context of a used bike that is lovely, less expensive, needs to be ridden and may fit my silly arms.
Shoji Takahashi
2015-07-27 20:34:51 UTC
Hi Fred,
It depends! :)

What h-bars are you planning on using? How do you like them set up? Saddle
height, up high, up very high? What's your current bike like? You mentioned
the custom bike was "too stretched out"... how long in the top tube, stem
length? height of saddle to handlebars?

Good luck!
shoji
Joe Bernard
2015-07-27 23:46:32 UTC
As long as you can swing a leg over the bike, the seattube size is
irrelevant (as has been shown by lots of modernish plastic bikes being sold
as Small, Medium, Large). It's all in the stretch from saddle to bars, so
if you think a 56cm toptube with a shorter stem will do the trick, go for
it.
Dave Brandt
2015-07-29 12:23:40 UTC
I'm built the same way and I have been sizing my bikes more towards the top tube dimension, then all PBH. My favorite handlebar is the Bosco Bullmoose when I can find a real long top tube. As Joe stated prior about being able to get on the bike. I personally am not a fan of the Cheviot look but it makes sense for people like us.