[RBW] ...whereby a stone became caught up in his wheel
Esteban
2015-07-24 17:51:00 UTC
I was in the UK when TdF began, so I became accustomed to watching it live
in the afternoon. When we returned nearly 2 weeks ago, I bought the NBC app
and have been enjoying the Tour. I'm not a big racing fan, but I like
Froome and especially Nario Quintana and am rooting for a Latin American
champion. Quintana certainly looks more like a healthy human being than the
other riders.

Anyway, for those watching today (no spoiler on the outcome here), you may
have seen Froome stop and get off the bike for a mechanical problem at a
critical point. Here's the report from today's Telegraph: "...launched his
attack after Froome suffered from a mechanical problem, whereby a stone
became caught up in his wheel."

Heh, the proverbial pebble caught in tight clearances!? Here's to plenty of
clearances and Grant's wisdom :)
-Esteban
San Diego, Calif.
franklyn
2015-07-24 19:07:53 UTC
Yeah, and people are criticizing Nibali's choice for attaching the group at
that time. I have never raced anything in my life, but am fond of the idea
of the technical trial described by Jan Heine in the past. I feel like the
pro-bicycle race should have a much stronger element of "technical
trial"--kind of like formula one racing, where bicycle design and setup
should be a big component of the competition. A mechanical or crash is a
testament of a rider or a team's choice--most of the time at least, and
that should be part of the whole package. I was disappointed that none of
the other big favorites went with Nibali when Froome had the slight
mechanical. If they had gone with him, it would have been much harder for
Froome to latch back on since he only had one teammate left, and the rest
of them can collaborate for the rest of the way to eek out a big advantage,
perhaps even unseating froome. That would have been so much more exciting!
Franklyn
Liesl
2015-07-24 19:38:25 UTC
A race bike has certain appeal

Until stopped with a clatter and squeal

Oh what would he give

For a wide clearance Riv

When a stone caught up in his wheel?
franklyn
2015-07-24 19:43:00 UTC
Unfortunately (or fortunately from Froome's perspective), not very much.
That's why I was disappointed that other riders didn't make this a bigger
deal than it is. Wouldn't it be great if he'd actually lost a lot of time
because of that stuck pebble to cause a big stir about tight tire clearance?

I doubt this would do anything to the thinking of the racing segment of the
bike industry
cyclotourist
2015-07-24 20:23:32 UTC
And this is what you get when you move away from 19mm tires!
Stick with the skinnies, people, much safer!
Post by Liesl
A race bike has certain appeal
Until stopped with a clatter and squeal
Oh what would he give
For a wide clearance Riv
When a stone caught up in his wheel?
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal
Allingham II, Thomas J
2015-07-27 17:11:39 UTC
LMAO

Post by Liesl
A race bike has certain appeal
Until stopped with a clatter and squeal
Oh what would he give
For a wide clearance Riv
When a stone caught up in his wheel?
Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.

Edwin W
2015-07-25 14:50:24 UTC
Liesl,
Your verse makes a so valid point
Just a pebble put froome out of joint!
For a ride more fine-ah
We should teach him some Heine
Then to the podium he'll be annoint...ed
ascpgh
2015-07-25 09:06:14 UTC
While the pro races eliminated the consequence of equipment and team cars
full of spares, I became appreciative of early MTB racing because of the
overt responsibility of the rider to deal with whatever happened to their
bike as a consequence of their riding or equipment selection. It was more
like my experience as an individual rider. Why I enjoy reading about the
technical trials and appreciate the advancements of the bike and its parts
by such.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh
Garth
2015-07-24 20:24:40 UTC
While I these days have no use for a race bike , I cannot critique
their design in any way as they are about 1 thing and one thing only ,
speed .

As they say .... stuff happens ..... and stuff can and does happen to
everyone ! It may be this issue, but is one really any different than
another when you really get down to it ?

If there is one thing I have learned . . . . . it is to gloat over a
thorn in another's side . . . is to suffer that thorn myself .

Celebrations are so much sweeter . . . .. and I need no reason for one .
. .. . other than to live is great . . . . to be Life is the Greatest !
Deacon Patrick
2015-07-24 20:24:50 UTC
I need bigger clearance between my ears. Sardonic grin.

With abandon,
Patrick
Garth
2015-07-24 20:31:30 UTC
Isn't the terrain grand though in France and all of Europe ? I love
watching all pro bike races that are broadcast mostly for the scenery .
The Giro is really cool as this year on Rai TV online they had the 2 moto
and 2 helo cams you could access , with no announcers whatsoever . That
was the neatest thing .
Garth
2015-07-24 20:36:46 UTC

Who wouldn't love to ride this ?
Jim Bronson
2015-07-25 15:09:31 UTC
Wow that picture is amazing.
Post by Garth
<http://www.klimgeiten.nl/images/historie/jaren/2013/16jun2013-3.jpg>
Who wouldn't love to ride this ?
Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!
Jim M.
2015-07-25 17:09:42 UTC
I saw that shot on tv and felt the urge to pack the bike and go ride that
climb. Some of the descents have looked grand this year too.

Not to burst any bubbles, but Froome said the rock was stuck between the
brake and wheel, not his frame.

jim m
wc ca
Minh
cyclotourist
2015-07-25 18:11:24 UTC
Would have been something if they kept it open to spectators and instead
closed it to team cars.

I'm all for bike races, but as Andy noted, noted, not team cars.
Riders should have to finish on the bike they started with, repair their
own flats, pick up food at neutral area.

Garth
2015-07-25 18:56:07 UTC
That climb is just barely enough for one team car , let alone a
rider . It was only 3.4 km and despite the looks, it's a very steady and
not very steep climb .

As far a teams and cars for support , "been there done that" as they
say . That's how it used to be when the TDF started. Riders in fact could
receive no support from anyone . That combined with primitive roads up and
down mountains , it was as much a sport of survival as anything else . Now
it's evolved to what it is, it is what it is .. . . lol ;-)

I love this vintage pic . . . . . pouring what is likely oil on a riders
chain . Then I noticed that guys legs . . . . . holy cow . . is that a
cyclist or body builder ? !

Jim Bronson
2015-07-26 03:08:07 UTC
It looks to me in that pic that the rider is wearing loafers!
http://all-that-is-interesting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tour-de-france-repairs.jpg
Daniel D.
2015-07-27 23:45:53 UTC
Sounds like a possible riv product, riding loafers, similar to driving
shoes
http://store.tods.com/Tods/US/categories/Shop-Man/Spring-Summer/Driving-Icons/Shoes/Gommino-Driving-Shoes-in-Suede/p/XXM0GW05470RE0S810
Garth
2015-07-28 18:25:47 UTC
Yep, that's pretty much how cycling shoes were up until the 70's and
into the 80's . Sidi made a classic model for both racing and touring ,
simple and elegant .

http://velosniper.blogspot.com/2008/12/sidi-touring-road-bike-cycling-shoe.html

some more :
http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2014/02/classic-cycling-shoes.html

Low and behold do a google search in images for "classic cycling shoes"
and you'll find some still being made today . Some for cleats, some flat .
Like these :

http://www.quocpham.com/products/fs0905.html

http://www.dromarti.com/cycling-shoes/race-classic
Lungimsam
2015-07-29 06:28:28 UTC
Maybe I am ignorant about racing rules, but I am not understanding why it was unsportsmanlike to attack when Froome stopped. Noone else stops and waits when other people crash or have to stop in the TdeF, so what made it wrong? Losing due to a mechanical, crash, or otherwise happens in races. Why was this different?
Daniel D.
2015-07-29 14:33:39 UTC
Etiquette doesn't always make sense sometimes it's just the way it is :p.
My take is so the race is decided by who has the best legs rather than the
wheel of misfortune. At least it's not as bad as baseball with their
stupid unwritten rules .
Peter Adler
2015-07-25 19:03:04 UTC
I believe that's called "Eroica" (add prefixes, suffixes and locations as
necessary). I'm guessing no TV network is interested in paying for
broadcasting rights for that.

We should probably also consider the fact that for professional bicycle
racers (and the teams/crews/sponsors that are components of professional
bicycle racing), riding bicycles is a job, not a hobby. The pros will ride
on whatever equipment the sponsors buy them, according to whatever rules
are in place; most of them have few other talents to sell. If the rules
were rewritten to require all riders in the Tour/Giro/Vuelta to ride
Eroica-style (one steel bike only, no teams, carry your own spares and fill
your own bidons at the water fountain), you'd still get riders. You'd get a
lot fewer of them, no TV time and the prize money would be a lot lower.
Presumably, the times will slow way down, if only because an extended stage
race without sponsors pumping money into it may demand more money to fill a
rider with the calories necessary to finish than the purse pays out.

I'm not deliberately trying to be a buzzkill about this retro-idea, which I
admit I find very appealing. But there are reasons that big-time bike
racing works the way it does, and it's fairly similar to most spectator
sports. If the Super Bowl was played by chunky 12-year olds in blue jeans,
nobody would watch it except the players' parents.

I suppose that one way to distinguish between a professional athletic
competition and a leisure event is to see which way the money goes; does
the promoter pay the athletes for competing, or does the leisure
participant pay the promoter for permission to participate?
cyclotourist
2015-07-25 22:07:26 UTC
I find Race the Divide, the Stagecoach 400, Leadville type events more
interesting than TdF.

The 12 year olds would probably be more interesting than the Super
Bowl as well :-) Super Bowl Sunday = best day to go ride a bike
without cars out!

Garth
Justin August
2015-07-25 18:33:48 UTC
Up or down?
stevef
2015-07-28 13:34:50 UTC
I think Nibali was attacking for a podium position and thus didn't feel as
though it was an unsportsmanlike attack on Froome (who had too much time on
him to realistically be a target) Just an assumption on my part, though.

I too watch the tour mainly for the scenery--what amazing views! Once
drones replace choppers it'll be even better I'll bet. B-)

And swapping bikes due to a mechanical is one thing but when they swap one
working bike for another, say lighter one, for a climbing section, that
seems a bit much...

Steve
Brewster Fong
2015-07-28 16:55:18 UTC
Post by stevef
And swapping bikes due to a mechanical is one thing but when they swap one
working bike for another, say lighter one, for a climbing section, that
seems a bit much...
I wonder if that was really the reason for the switch. After all, the UCI
has a weight limit of like 6.8 or 6.9kg (14.99lbs), so how much lighter
wouldthe new bike be?! I suppose he could have had a heavier, more
aero bike, but they had just had to go up the HC Col de Fur prior to
climbing alpe d'huez, so why not have the lightest bike throughout
the entire race, like everyone else? Good Luck!
Post by stevef
Steve